During his 10-year MLB career, Jackie Robinson won the inaugural Rookie of the Year Award in 1947, was an All-Star for six consecutive seasons from 1949 through 1954, and won the National League Most Valuable Player Award in 1949—the first black player so honored. He played in six World Series and contributed to the Dodgers’ 1955 World Series championship. In 1997, MLB retired his uniform number 42 across all major league teams; he was the first professional athlete in any sport to be so honored.
Following are some of the quotations by him on his journey from a nobody to a legend.
Captions you will Love !!
Who was Jackie Robinson?
Jack Roosevelt Robinson was an American professional baseball player who became the first African American to play in Major League Baseball (MLB) in the modern era. Robinson broke the baseball color line when he started at first base for the Brooklyn Dodgers on April 15, 1947. When the Dodgers signed Robinson, it heralded the end of racial segregation in professional baseball that had relegated black players to the Negro leagues since the 1880s.[ Robinson was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962.
Jackie Robinson quotes about life
Live your life the right way and you will find yourself always in the right place. Learn the way to go through that with these beautiful quotes by Jackie Robinson.
- I don’t like needing anyone for anything.
- We’re in a real crisis situation where many times people are being turned away at the door.
- The way I figured it, I was even with baseball and baseball with me.
- During my life, I have had a few nightmares which happened to me while I was wide awake.
- Above anything else, I hate to lose.
- A life isn’t significant except for its impact on others’ lives.
- I’m not concerned with your liking or disliking me… All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.
- We are demanding that we must be given the things that are rightfully ours and that we’re not looking for anything else.
- I don’t think it matters what I believe, only what I do.
Also, check out: SHORT Instagram Captions 2020 (Copy Paste)
Breaking the color barrier quotes by Jackie Robinson
Jackie was very vocals when it came to discrimination based on race and color. He focused on equality among all. Break all the barriers of your race through these quotes.
- This ain’t fun. But you watch me, I’ll get it done.
- I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag. I know that I am a black man in a white world.
- The most important thing that happened to me in 1948, as far as I am concerned, is that I got thrown out of a game for heckling an umpire. It happened in Pittsburgh.
- The only thing a manager has to do is relate to the players.
- I don’t care if they like me. I didn’t come here to make friends. I don’t even care if they respect me. I know who I am. I’ve got enough respect for myself. I do not want them to beat me.
- Yell. Heckle. Do anything you want. We came here to play baseball.
- In those days a white ballplayer could look forward to some streak of luck or some reward for hard work to carry him into prominence or even stardom. What had the black player hoped for? What was his future?
- I was naïve about the elaborate lengths to which racists in the Armed Forces would go to put a vocal black man in his place.
- When I look back at what I had to go through in black baseball, I can only marvel at the many black players who stuck it out for years in the Jim Crow leagues because they had nowhere else to go.
Jackie Robinson quotes on equality
We need to fight for those who are not so lucky like use! These quotes will inspire you and make you want to fight equality for all! Because who are we if we cannot come for help for our fellow men.
- God built me to last.
- You don’t matter right now, Jack. You’re in this thing. You don’t have the right to pull out from the backing of people who believe in you, respect you, and who need you.
- If Robinson can help us win, then he is gonna play on this ball club!
- No. I want a player who’s got the guts not to fight back.
- Roses and sleep are two wonderful things, Burt. But sleep you can get when you’re in your casket, and flowers look great on top of it. But, uh, you don’t look like a dead man to me, Burt.
- There are more coming every day and they have got talent and they want to play.
- Um, Mr. Brock, I’m just a ballplayer. Oh no no, you tell that to the little boys playing baseball in Florida today. To them, you a hero.
- I didn’t go to school just to eat my lunch either. I’ll play an elephant if he can help us win and to make room for him I’ll send my own brother home if he’s not as good.
- God’s a Methodist; We can’t go wrong.
Also, check out: FUNNY Instagram Captions 2020 (Copy Paste)
Famous Jackie Robinson quotes
Jackie Robinson, a brilliant human being full of life and beyond. He always made our eyes shine with his game. These quotes are the best from our very own Jackie.
- At the beginning of the World Series of 1947, I experienced a completely new emotion when the National Anthem was played. This time, I thought, it is being played for me, as much as for anyone else.
- There’s not an American in this country free until every one of us is free.
- The many of us who attain what we may and forget those who help us along the line we’ve got to remember that there are so many others to pull along the way.
- I do believe that what I was able to attain came to be because we put behind us the dogmas of the past: to discover the truth of today; and perhaps the greatness of tomorrow.
- It kills me to lose. If I’m a troublemaker, and I don’t think that my temper makes me one, then it’s because I can’t stand losing.
- I know now that dreams do come true.
- How you played in yesterday’s game is all that counts.
- We have a social responsibility and we are held to a higher standard than other institutions.
- Discover the truth of today and perhaps find the greatness of tomorrow.
Also, check out: Short Smile Captions for Instagram Selfies || Cute Famous Love
Civil Rights quotes by Jackie Robinson
We all have a social duty towards the country we live in and towards the people we live with. And to fulfil that duty well we need to be aware of our own civil rights and only then can we be an asset to the world.
- The way I am about winning, all I ever wanted to do was finish first.
- Pop flies, in a sense, are just a diversion for a second baseman. Grounders are his stock trade.
- Dodgers, ending a long period of segregation in Major League Baseball. It wound up being a momentous day not just in baseball history, but in the history of a country.
- I guess if I could choose one of the most important moments in my life, I would go back to 1947, in the Yankee Stadium in New York City.
- I do not believe that every person, in every walk of life, can succeed in spite of any handicap. That would be perfection.
- I’m not going anywhere, I’m right here!
- I don’t let my mouth say nothing my head can’t stand.
- I ought to break this trophy into 32 pieces.
- Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he’s losing; nobody wants you to quit when you’re ahead.
Also, check out: 300+ SASSY Captions for Instagram 2021