Marcus Garvey was the one who organized the first important American Black nationalist movement in 1919. He advocated that all black people should return to Africa. He went on to become one of the most well-known and celebrated black man in the history and his works are still said to be extremely powerful and memorable.
Marcus Garvey left us with numerous inspiring quotes on love, intelligence, racism, black unity, and self-reliance that are still as powerful and relevant as they were a century ago. Here are some of our favourite ones.
Captions you will Love !!
Who was Marcus Garvey?
Marcus Mosiah Garvey was a Jamaican political activist, publisher, journalist, entrepreneur, and orator. He was the founder and first President-General of the Universal Negro Improvement Association and African Communities League, through which he declared himself Provisional President of Africa. Ideologically a black nationalist and Pan-Africanist, his ideas came to be known as Garveyism.
Self-reliance quotes by Marcus Garvey
History teaches us that the only person you can trust truly and rely on is only and only yourself. These quotes will show you how you can become your independent self.
- I trust that you will so live today as to realize that you are masters of your own destiny, masters of your fate; if there is anything you want in this world, it is for you to strike out with confidence and faith in self and reach for it.
- Take away industry from a race, take away political freedom from a race and you have a slave race.
- Now is the chance for every Negro to make every effort toward a commercial, industrial standard that will make us comparable with the successful business men of other races.
- Take advantage of every opportunity; where there is none, make it for yourself.
- The Negro will have to build his own industry, art, sciences, literature, and culture before the world will stop to consider him.
- Ideals of liberty, freedom and righteousness do not prosper in the 20th century excepts they coincide with oil, rubber, gold, diamond, coal, iron, sugar, coffee, and such other minerals and products desired by the privileged, capitalists and leaders who control the system of government.
- The race can only be saved through a solid industrial foundation.
- All peoples are struggling to blast a way through the industrial monopoly of races and nations, but the Negro as a whole has failed to grasp its true significance and seems to delight in filling only that place created for him by the white man.
- Our success educationally, industrially and politically is based upon the protection of a nation founded by ourselves. And the nation can be nowhere else but in Africa.
- A race that is solely dependent upon another for its economic existence sooner or later dies.
Also, check out Funny BROTHER Instagram Captions
Marcus Garvey Quotes on Black unity
Unity is the stepping stone to success. These quotes by Marcus Garvey show us how unity is important for the walk towards freedom. Find out through these quotes how black history was made.
- The world rocks beneath their tread.
- This is the basis, and I am not being tried for whether I am a Communist, I am being tried for fighting for the right of my people, who are still second-class citizens in this United States of America.
- First of leaders of the Communist Party, and then of all honest anti-fascists.
- The kind of democratic association of free people which characterizes the Soviet Union today.
- In the glow of parlor coal stove and on summer porches sweet with lilac air.
- Yes, I heard my people singing!”
- From choir loft and Sunday morning pews-and, my soul was filled with their harmonies.
- And at home in the United States, we found continued and increased persecution.
- For the first time since I began acting, I feel that I’ve found my place in the world, where I can express and perhaps help others preserve.
- As Americans, preserving the best of our traditions, we have the right.
- American minds the false notion that danger threatened them from the East.
Check out Captions for Pink-dresses.
Well-known Marcus Garvey Quotes
Want to know what makes Marcus Garvey so famous? Read these quotes below to know about some memorable words by this famous and iconic personality.
- Great principles, great ideals know no nationality.
- If you haven’t confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started.
- There shall be no solution to this race problem until you, yourselves, strike the blow for liberty.
- I like honesty and fair play.
- God and Nature first made us what we are, and then out of our own created genius we make ourselves what we want to be. Follow always that great law. Let the sky and God be our limit and Eternity our measurement.
- Turn ye around and make a conquest of everything North and South, East and West. And then we you have wrought well, you will have merited God’s blessing, you will become God’s chosen people and naturally you’ll become leaders of the world.
- Mind creates and as much as we desire in nature we can have through the creation of our own minds.
- There is no force like success, and that is why the individual makes all effort to surround himself throughout life with the evidence of it; as of the individual, so should it be of the nation.
- Men who are in earnest are not afraid of consequences.
- I have no desire to take all black people back to Africa; there are blacks who are no good here and will likewise be no good there.
Marcus Garvey Quotes on education and intelligence
We study to make ourselves know more about the universe and all things surrounding us. When education is the way for you to keep your stronghold and make a real mark.
- Liberate the minds of men and ultimately you will liberate the bodies of men.
- To see your enemy and know him is a part of the complete education of man.
- Intelligence rules the world, ignorance carries the burden.
- The man who is not able to develop and use his mind is bound to be the slave of the other man who uses his mind
- The pen is mightier than the sword, but the tongue is mightier than them both put together.
- Before we can properly help the people, we have to destroy the old education… that teaches them that somebody is keeping them back and that God has forgotten them and that they can’t rise because of their color
- A reading man and woman is a ready man and woman, but a writing man and woman is exact.
- A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.
- Let the sky and God be our limit, and Eternity our measurement. There is no height to which we cannot climb by using the active intelligence of our own minds.
- Having had the wrong education as a start in his racial career, the Negro has become his own greatest enemy.
Check out Purple Dress Captions.
Marcus Garvey Quotes against racism
Learn more about Marcus Garvey’s fight against racism through these quotes and find out how much of an impact he had on the lives of everybody around him in that era.
- We have a beautiful history, and we will create another in the future, which will astonish the world.
- We were like crabs in a barrel, that none would allow the other to climb over, but on any such attempt all would continue to pull back into the barrel the one crab that would make the effort to climb out.
- Do not remove the kinks from your hair – remove them from your brain.
- Up, up, you mighty race! You can accomplish what you will.
- Look for me in a whirlwind or a storm.
- Progress is the attraction that moves humanity.
- If I die in Atlanta my work shall then only begin, but I shall live, in the physical or spiritual to see the day of Africa’s glory.
- Races and peoples are only safeguarded when they are strong enough to protect themselves.
- Lose not courage, lose not faith, go forward.
- Let no voice but your own speak to you from the depths. Let no influence but your own raise you in time of peace and time of war. Hear all, but attend only that which concerns you.
- In a world of wolves one should go armed, and one of the most powerful defensive weapons within the reach of Negroes is the practice of race first in all parts of the world.
- The ends you serve that are selfish will take you no further than yourself but the ends you serve that are for all, in common, will take you into eternity.
- Let it be your constant method to look into the design of people’s actions, and see what they would be at, as often as it is practicable; and to make this custom the more significant, practice it first upon yourself.
- The whole world is run on bluff.
You will also like Haircut Captions.